SETDA’s annual Emerging Technologies Forum (ET Forum) provides a venue for SETDA’s state members and the private sector to engage in meaningful dialogue. Companies showcase their products and services and the SETDA members, representing the state departments of education, highlight their major initiatives and priorities. The ET Forum is attended by an average of 75 state members representing the educational technology leadership from no fewer than 42 states, as well as the corporate community represented by SETDA’s annual private sector partners and ET Forum event sponsors.
- Date: June 26-June 29, 2014
- Venue: Marriot Marquis
State Members may attend every activity except the Corporate PD sessions.
Thursday, June 26, 2014
1:00 – 6:00 pm
- ET Forum Registration – International South Foyer
1:45 – 2:45 pm
- Membership Meeting and Welcome Lunch – International Salon 1-3
3:00 – 4:00 pm
4:00 – 5:00 pm
- Emerging Private Sector Partners Product Showcase for Gold/Platinum Private Sector Partners and Channel Partners – International Salon 4-6
5:15 – 7:15 pm
7:30 – 9:30 pm
Friday, June 27, 2014
8:00 am – 2:00 pm
- ET Forum Registration – International South Foyer
8:15 – 9:15 am
- Strategic Partnership Committee Welcome & New SETDA Resources (Breakfast Provided) – International Salon 1-3
9:30 – 4:00 pm
9:30 – 10:30 am
- R & D Focus Group Session I
- Amazon – International Salon 5
- Pearson - International Salon 4
- BrainPOP – International Salon 6
- ENA – International Salon 7
- Junyo – International Salon 8
- Sprint – International Salon 9
- Corporate PD: E-Rate & ConnectED – Room M304
10:45 – 11:45 am
- R & D Focus Group Session II
- Microsoft – International Salon 5
- CDW-G – International Salon 6
- esri – International Salon 4
- Learning.com – International Salon 8
- SymbalooEDU – International Salon 9
- Neverware – International Salon 7
- Corporate PD: Professional Learning for the Digital Age – Room M304
12:00 – 1:15 pm
1:30 – 2:30 pm
- R & D Focus Group Session III
- Amplify – International Salon 5
- Copia – International Salon 6
- HP – International Salon 7
- myON – International Salon 8
- Verizon – International Salon 9
- Corporate PD: Technology Readiness for Online Assessments – Room M304
2:45 – 3:45 pm
- R & D Focus Group Session IV
- AT&T – International Salon 5
- Desire2Learn – International Salon 6
- Google – International Salon 7
- SMART – International Salon 4
- Curriculum Associates – International Salon 9
- Corporate PD: Student Data Privacy: Legal, Technical and Political Considerations – Room M304
3:45 – 4:15 pm Break
4:15 – 5:30 pm
- Views from the States
- Lessons Learned in the Shift to Online Assessment – International Salon 7
- Digital Equity & Online Testing - International Salon 6
- Where is Your State in the Shift to Digital Content? – International Salon 9
- Supporting the Digital Transition through Professional Learning – International Salon 8
Dinner on Your Own
7:00- 8:00 pm
- New Member Mixer (all members are welcome) – Pulse Loft at the Marriott Marquis
8:00 – 10:00 pm
Saturday, June 28, 2014
7:30 – 8:00 am
8:15 – 9:45 am
- Platinum R & D Focus Groups
- Qualcomm – International Salon 4
- Intel/Vernier – International Salon 5
- Apple – International Salon 6
10:00 – 11:30 am
- Topical Roundtable Discussions – International Salon 1-3
- Preparation for E-Rate Modernization
- Student Data Privacy
Lunch on Your Own
1:30 – 3:30 pm
- Annual Business Meeting – International Salon 1-3
4:00 – 5:15 pm
- ConnectED Private Sector Showcase (open to public) – International Salon 1-3
6:30 – 9:00 pm
- State Members Dinner
- Rays in the City
- 240 Peachtree St. NW
- Atlanta, GA 30303
Sunday, June 29, 2014
State Members Only
7:30 – 8:00 am
- Continental Breakfast Provided – International Salon 1-3
8:00 – 9:45 am
- USDOE Meeting – International Salon 1-3
9:45 – 10:00 am
10:00 – 10:50 am
- Standing Committee Meetings
- Professional Learning – International Salon 1-3
- State Action – International Salon 1-3
- State Engagement – International Salon 4
- Strategic Partnership – International Salon 5
- E-Rate Modernization Briefing, FCC – International Salon 1-3
Lunch on Your Own
Optional SETDA Partner Events
- Speak-Up Luncheon (registration required)
BrightBytes improves the way the world learns through cutting-edge research and analysis. The outputs of this analysis enable educational leaders to make better, evidence-based decisions that improve learning outcomes.
Company Contact: Bruce Umpstead, Strategic Partnerships | bruce@BrightBytes.net
Canvas by Instructure is the LMS that gets used. Canvas connects teachers, tools, ideas, and students, and then stays out of the way. With all the built-in features you need and the integrations you want, Canvas makes teaching and learning easier, enabling you to take education to a higher level.
Company Contact: Rob Mayfield, Marketing Event Coordinator | firstname.lastname@example.org
Comcast Business offers Internet, Ethernet, Voice and TV for government, education, and business. Comcast Business has one of the most sophisticated networks in the country, and was named the Metro Ethernet Forum’s 2013 North American Service Provider of the Year. Built for business, customers value the diverse, private network and 24×7 dedicated business support.
Company Contact: Mike Thibodeaux, Regional Director of Sales | Michael_Thibodeaux@cable.comcast.com
Curriculum Associates is a rapidly growing education company committed to making classrooms better places for teachers and students. We believe that all children have the chance to succeed, and this drives the decisions we make every day. Our research-based, award-winning products, including cloud-based i-Ready®, provide teachers and administrators with flexible resources that deliver meaningful assessments and data-driven, differentiated instruction for children. We serve millions of students with i-Ready® (adaptive diagnostic, online instruction, and practice apps for math and reading); Ready® (standards-based instruction build from scratch for the Common Core); BRIGANCE® (assessment and instruction for special education, early childhood, and Head Start); and other programs because of our laser focus on educators’ needs over our own bottom line and a belief that thoughtful and continuous innovation leads to a positive impact on classrooms and measureable growth for students.
Company Contact: Aurora Martinez | AMartinez@cainc.com
Eduware, Inc. offers a suite of integrated products to launch your classroom into the 21st century, allowing you to create, curate, and deploy powerful assessments from any web enabled device. Additionally, Eduware’s ClickerSchool offers BYOD friendly classroom activities. ClickerSchool implements games and live polls using clickers, smartphones, laptops, or tablets.
Company Contact: Fatima Mirza, Sales Specialist | email@example.com
All-in-one virtual campus, TheEducationCloud platform, consolidates school business and curricular applications to a single navigational interface and password providing SIS, LMS, ERP, Google Apps, HR/Payroll, communication, transportation. Reduce license / operating costs of 50-65% ($200K-$2M/yr).
Company Contact: Tim DiScipio, CEO | firstname.lastname@example.org
A wholly owned subsidiary of CDW (NASDAQ: CDW), CDW Government (CDW-G) is a leading provider of technology solutions to education, government and healthcare customers. The company features dedicated K-12 account managers to help districts choose the right technology products and services to meet their needs. The company’s solutions architects and engineers offer expertise in designing customized solutions, while its advanced technology engineers assist districts with the implementation and long-term management of those solutions. From network communications and notebooks to virtualization and mobility, CDW-G is dedicated to providing the best possible solutions and resources to its customers.
Company Contact: Pete Koczera K12 Business Development Manager | email@example.com
Junyo’s classroom systems enable teachers to create personalized playlists for students using OER and licensed content. Assessments are tracked, and dashboards deliver insights to teachers and administrators. An active teacher community shares content recommendations. Junyo integrates with nearly every LMS. Junyo is available as a full suite or individual modules.
Company Contact: P.H. Mullen, Marketing VP | firstname.lastname@example.org
Lesson Planet fills the gap as a virtual curriculum department providing award-winning online search tools to help PreK-12 educators find credentialed teacher reviews and links to online lesson planning resources, searchable by grade, subject, and standard. Educational technology professional development includes teacher-friendly, step-by-step, on-demand instructional video courses.
Company Contact: Jennifer Gibson, Director of Content & Learning | email@example.com
A unique challenge is presented by trying to marry the most modern forms of technology to a classroom that has not been updated since the mid-90s. The Lumos SmartHub allows teachers to wirelessly interact with the classroom using whatever technology they choose, be it iPad, Android, Mac or PC.
Company Contact: Shane Cox, CEO | shane@GoLumos.com
From motivational, student-made career videos and college/university search tools to career personality tests and more, My Career Playbook™ gives students the winning edge in planning their professions. Teachers, parents and counselors get on the same playing field, educating and encouraging their students toward post-secondary success—thanks to one comprehensive website.
Company Contact: Mark Oronzio, Strategic Relations | firstname.lastname@example.org
myON is a personalized digital literacy platform that creates collaborative learning opportunities. myON expands the classroom for teachers and students by providing access to more than 7,000 enhanced digital books with multimedia supports, real-time assessments and close reading tools. With myON, every student experiences the benefits of personalized literacy instruction.
Company Contact: Lynn Walker, Marketing Manager | email@example.com
Optimum Solutions Corp (1991), a national marketing research firm utilized by Fortune 100, K-12 & Higher Education clients. OSC’s Digital Writing System is a paperless forms solution that uses world-renowned handwriting interpretation technology to capture data & documents through iPads & Androids.
Company Contact: Martha Turner, Sales Executive | firstname.lastname@example.org
Shindig offers a patented large-scale video chat teaching and event platform that seeks to unleash the untapped potential of video chat. Used by TED, CNN, Bill Gates, Jim Cramer, The Economist, and more, Shindig brings the dynamics of an in-person event to internet scale.
Company Contact: Harold T. Respass, Director of Busines Development | email@example.com
Corporate Professional Development
E-Rate & ConnectED: The View from the States
Within the last year, the Obama administration has launched a number of new initiatives to promote school reform and improvement via technology. Come hear and share your views on the status of E-rate modernization (which will radically re-shape school broadband access) and the mulit-pronged ConnectED initiative, which includes public-private partnerships resulting in the donation of over $1 billion in educational technology products and services to schools, as well as a new federal educational technology program, ConnectEDucators.
- Doug Levin, SETDA Executive Director
Professional Learning for the Digital Age
Successful digital learning experiences depend on educators that can comfortably use the technology tools and resources as an integral facet of their instructional practices. This entails ongoing training in the various programs, content and applications that teachers and students might use, as well as ongoing, sustained on-site support for teachers. Educator learning experiences that are well-aligned to state and local instructional and student learning goals are the key to making sure that technology ultimately facilitates high-quality, relevant, college and career ready learning experiences for students. Join the conversation and learn about SETDA’s online Professional Learning resources including our new setda.org resources and the State Education Policy Center.
- Christine Fox, SETDA Director of Educational Research & Research
Technology Readiness for Common Core Assessment
Most states belonging to the PARCC and Smarter Balanced consortia were involved to some degree in field testing for the new assessments this past spring and next year the assessments will roll out for real. In addition, the three of the four smaller consortia will begin their field testing in 2014. All the consortia have requirements for technology and testing, some of which are evolving. How ready are states and districts – and their students – for the assessments and what have they learned from the field test experience to inform their readiness? Join this discussion about technology readiness for learning and assessment and learn about the technology requirements for the online assessments of all six consortia.
- Geoff Fletcher, SETDA Deputy Executive Director
Student Data Privacy: Legal, Technical and Political Considerations
Within the last year, over 100 bills addressing student data privacy issues have been introduced in 35 states with 16 being passed into law. At the federal level, the White House has called for an update of federal student data privacy legislation, while legislation to do just that has been introduced in the U.S. Senate. Join a lively discussion and dialogue on the evolving landscape surrounding the collection and management of student data in K-12 at the state and federal levels.
- Doug Levin, SETDA Executive Director